State of the art spam control?

Fraser Campbell fraser-eicrhRFjby5dCsDujFhwbypxlwaOVQ5f at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 23 04:14:09 UTC 2006

Taavi Burns wrote:

> I've been using greylist for a while now, and it seems to work pretty
> well.  The greylist scheme is:
> * The first time address A sends mail from IP B to address C, it is
> rejected with a temporary failure.
> * If A tries again form B to C within a certain timeframe (there is a
> minimum and maximum time limit, configurable), then the mail is
> accepted.

Gave it a try ...

- disabled TMDA early on January 9, 2006
- receive average of 121 spams per day through to Feb 5, 2006
- enable greylisting at 00:00 on Feb 6, 2006
- in following 2 weeks have averaged 2.88 spams per day

Thanks!
P.S. I am using postgrey which Debian/Ubuntu folk will find packaged up
and possessing a nice eary README.