USB memory stick: what brand, model is best?

Duncan MacGregor dbmacg-HLeSyJ3qPdM at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 20 16:16:25 UTC 2006

On February 19, 2006 10:05 pm, Daniel Armstrong wrote:
> On 2/19/06, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Feb 19, 2006 at 02:06:07AM +0000, verbum-qazKcTl6WRFWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org wrote:
> > > Can anyone make a shopping recommendation?
> >
> > For just storage use, any make would do.

I have had four. All are 128mb.
One is a Lexar Jumpdrive.Two were 128mb PQI and one of them failed. I also
have two 128mb compact flash cards.
I never had a pendrive/compact flash drive that would not boot. Every card
will boot, including the compact flash units.

In my experience, booting problems are in the BIOS, or configuration of the
boot usb files, not in the hardware.

Sometimes, older hardware will not boot from USB, or even a CD-ROM.
Every machine will boot from floppy, so there are floppy disk images that will
boot from USB and/or CDROM.

Damn Small Linux ( http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/ ) is a 50mb Live CD, that
can create a boot floppy that then boots from a USB.

Duncan

> > > For booting, I recommend
> > Apacer Handy Steno and Transcend JetFlash.  Unfortunately, Transcend are
> > difficult to find.  Try Canada Computers.
>
> I can second the recommendation for the Apacer HandySteno - I have a
> 128MB stick which works fine with Linux (though I have never tried to
> boot from it).

---
Duncan MacGregor --Toronto --