XGL and the future of X Windows

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 19:10:30 UTC 2006

On 2/17/06, R.R. <rrod-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Thought some of you might be interested in this video:
> http://www.freedesktop.org/~davidr/xgl-demo1.xvid.avi (60 MB)
>
> (Original news release here: http://www.novell.com/linux/xglrelease/)

Is there anything interesting about the release of some new version of
the X server that runs atop OpenGL that is worth saying anything
about?

>From what I hear about it, there is a big downside to it namely that
it requires hardware accelerated OpenGL in order to use it at all,
which requires selecting graphics cards very carefully.  You have to
have a graphics card where the proprietary not-at-all-open 3D drivers
are available and stable for Linux.

Availability of stable 3D drivers on a timely basis has traditionally
been a BIG problem.  Furthermore, the heavy tendancy to highly
proprietary drivers tends to mean that only those users that are
prepared to do a lot of bootstrapping that includes building custom
kernels with (nonredistributable!) patches provided by card vendors.

To say that that sort of process "does not scale" grossly understates things.
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)