Promoting Linux before release of vista

Paul Sutton zen14920-1HOZaDBbGgxaa/9Udqfwiw at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 18:47:53 UTC 2006

When I install any operating system it requires some tweaking,  with
Windows I need to install the graphics card driver and then reboot with
Debian I need to run a nvidia install script, if you give someone a
debian cd and it fails for some reason, e.g does not pick up graphics
card and gives user with a corrupt looking screen, thats their first
impression which could be damaging.  Somehow when an attempt to install
windows involves twisting the body round to read a code on the back, and
then back to type characters in, we just put up with it.

An event like this says

1: Open source is out there
2: This is  what it can do and potentially save you
3: There is support out there
4: There are also people out there who have the skills to support open
source.

These are some of the barriers to taking up something new,  companies
need support and  the right support, by working together and including
companies that support the system, you can encourage more people to take
up open source,  demand skills, which will then put pressure on colleges
to provide training and courses to provide the required skills.

What you can also demonstrate at these events is just because you use
Open office writer does not mean that you can't use MS office, if you
can demonstrate some real world applications of Linux it will show that
it;s a serious alternative not  just something used by geeks, there are
lots of examples, e.g movie production,  I think dreamworks do (do they
have an office in ON, would they do a talk on using open source software
to make films, as something like that what people relate to,)

I still think Linux should be pushed on the back end replacing Windows
server / exchnage etc,  and then push Thunderbird, firefox Openoffice on
the desktop, once people are used to using this on windows THEN think
about migrating desktops to something else.  Too big a chance is a big
risk for companies.  I think just replacing Outlook everywhere could
potentially solve a lot of security problems.

Just thought this would be an opportunity for advocacy,  It could just
be part of a normal user group meeting, ,

To quote :

>> Hi
>>
>> What has the group got planned to promote GNU/Linux before MS release
>> vista,  as that is going to get a massive publicity push for vista
>> Just thoujght we should do something similar at around the time.
>
>   (Before you upgrade, try this live CD first...)
> -Evan

How about

Before you upgrade, have a look at this demo of Open source. then try
the live cd.  if you need help, just ask on the lug. and also give them
contact details of the user group.  Lets not be seen as MS bashers (hard
I know), lets simply do a better job of promoting something that is
better, and better as a licensing model, (free as in freedom),

Paul

http://www.zleap.net
http://www.openoffice.org
http://www.linux.org