XGL and the future of X Windows

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 13:21:34 UTC 2006

Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> There are other formats here:
> http://tirania.org/blog/archive/2006/Feb-07-1.html

Thanks.  I just watched the ogg version in Real Player.  This just
proves my point.  Real Player is commonly available and does not require
extra effort on the part of most users to view those files.  I currently
support users at a very large corporation and know that the vast
majority will not run any video, that requires more than a couple of
extra mouse clicks.  To expect them to download the Xvid source and
compile it, is not only extremely unreasonable, but in the vast majority
of cases, impossible.

So, bottom line, if you want your video watched is, at the least, use a
commonly used format.  If you want to use more advance formats as well,
that's great, as it will then improve the availablility of that format.
 But also make sure that a reasonably easy install is available, as most
users are unable to compile source code.