Usable WIFI card: PCi or USB

Ian Zimmerman nobrowser-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Feb 19 05:44:05 UTC 2006

Duncan> Can anyone recommend a currently available 802.11b or 802.11g
Duncan> PCI or USB card, for which there is a working Linux driver?  I
Duncan> understand about avoiding Broadcom chipsets, and I have tried
Duncan> using gear with a Prism 2.5 chipset, but I have concluded that I
Duncan> need to know current working devices by model number and
Duncan> version. What do you guys have working?

Not what you want to hear, but:

When I was all excited about wireless 2 years ago and wanted to put my
under-desktop on a wireless network, I found it hard just like you did.
Eventually I bought a Linksys wireless-ethernet bridge.  That way
I connected to the wlan with my ethernet card.

The bridge was ridiculously expensive (cost more than the wireless
router) but otherwise I'd probably have bought at least one wlan card
which wouldn't work so it would've come to the same thing.

--
A true pessimist won't be discouraged by a little success.