XGL and the future of X Windows

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 18 21:27:43 UTC 2006

Behdad Esfahbod wrote:

>> Well, I'm running SUSE 10.  I don't generally get involved with
>> multimedia stuff, as that's not an area I'm interested in.  It won't
>> play on SUSE 10 and it won't play on XP with WMP 10 and latest updates,
>> so I guess they don't want anyone to play it.  I've got better ways of
>> wasting my time, than messing with a video that doesn't want to play and
>> they don't even mention anywhere that I can see, what's required to play
>> it.  Even WMP has no idea what codec is required.
>
> All you need is the XviD codec, which is Free Software:
>
>   http://www.xvid.org/
>
> And that's right in the URL I believe.
>
> --behdad
> http://behdad.org/

Well, I have installed xvid, which got me absolutely nothing.  As for
"xvid" being in the URL, that means absolutely nothing to someone, such
as myself, who has no interest whatsoever in multimedia, except as a
tool to play files.  I am only a MM user, who's not interested in having
to track down the latest codec etc.  If it doesn't play with what I've
got or can easily add, I'm not interested.  There are many MM formats
that play well in SUSE, right out of the box or in Windows.  Why should
this file be so difficult for someone who has no interest in MM stuff to
play?  What's wrong with the existing formats that already play on my
systems?