XGL and the future of X Windows

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 18 20:56:49 UTC 2006

Meng Cheah wrote:
> James Knott wrote:

>>> Curious.  It won't play on SuSE 10 for legal reasons.
>>>

>> I can't even play it in Windows Media Player!  What does it require
>> that's apparently not available in either Linux or Windows?
>>

> It's an avi file and I'm playing it using vlc in Linux.
> I've got the mplayer essential codecs in /usr/lib/win32.
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/homepage/design7/dload.html

Well, I'm running SUSE 10.  I don't generally get involved with
multimedia stuff, as that's not an area I'm interested in.  It won't
play on SUSE 10 and it won't play on XP with WMP 10 and latest updates,
so I guess they don't want anyone to play it.  I've got better ways of
wasting my time, than messing with a video that doesn't want to play and
they don't even mention anywhere that I can see, what's required to play
it.  Even WMP has no idea what codec is required.