LoneCoder: Google: Lawful Good or Chaotic Neutral?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Feb 18 20:41:56 UTC 2006

I have to side with Kihara.

"Don't do evil" is _not_ a universal theme in business, unless you
extend it to "don't do evil to our shareholders". The compelling drive
is what is cynically referred to as "building shareholder value",
whether it's in dividends or the value of the stock. Serving customers
and obeying the law are merely methods to achieve the primary goal.
Being ethical, for the sake of more than PR, is most certainly not a
constant in the business world.

There are most certainly businesses who, while successful, have made
ethical practise more than a slogan -- while the PR from such behaviour
is great for the bottom line, for the business it's a result rather than
a cause of "doing the right thing". One company that comes to mind
quickly in this regard is The Body Shop and its company-wide policy
against animal testing.

Every company wants to be known as ethical, because not being seen that
way is bad PR. So the way to measure the seriousness of the claim to by
judging actions rather than words. By most metrics in this regard,
ethical comparison of Microsoft and Google is IMO downright absurd.
There is a big difference between "trying to do good but not always
getting it just right" and "doing evil while calling it good". I don't
see Google accused of using drug-pusher tactics in the developing world,
an analogy often (and IMO with good reason) applied to Microsoft.

So Cringely had problems getting an interview in 2004. As has been
suggested, this may be more a matter of being overwhelmed than a desire
to create a compound somewhere with a big shark tank and a self-destruct
mechanism. I certainly had no problem getting access to Brin in 1999,
before the bandwagon effect set in:
http://www.opticality.com/Press/ZopeCorp/ZDNet990723/view

Sure, Google is out to make a buck. But I don't see it trying to do that
through the advocacy of two-tier email, claims of "open" standards that
really aren't, or currying favour by voluntarily handling personal
detail to governments, as its competitors have been accused of doing.

It is valuable to continue to keep a cynical eye trained on Google? Of
course, if for no other reasons than the possibility that one day the
company's visionaries may get overwhelmed by the bean-counters. Once
upon a time Caldera, the company that is now SCO, was run by good guys too.

However, so far I have not seen much to indicate that Google has in any
significant way broken its motto. Complaint about their transparency may
be somewhat valid, though I would suggest that it's more accessible than
companies that are actually regulated for the sake of the "public good"
(broadcasters, utilities. etc.). Still, arguments with the company's
decision-making processes don't bear any logical relation to issues of
ethics. They owe accountability for their ethics to nobody but
themselves; the rest of us are bystanders unless you own stock in them
or their competitors.

If you want to debate the specific activities you mentioned as lapses of
ethics, bring 'em on. I certainly don't agree with the assertion that
Google is "attempting to acquire control over all forms of media
including music, books and email". In my own research on some of the
battles between Google and "rights holders" on intellectual property
issues, I (and I imagine most fans of free software would) certainly
find more affinity with Google's positions.

Google is a nice, comfortable target which has probably grown too big,
too quickly, for its own good. It's resisted direct attack from some of
the biggest players in IT. Moreover, given its claimed intent to act
ethically, it's under tighter scrutiny than most other companies who
admit they're just out to make a buck. So scrutiny is natural and attack
is inevitable.

Sure, one can complain that Google's aim is not to be Sergey Brin's
definition of evil, and that may not always jive with how you or I would
define the term. Still, on the balance I think the Internet is at least
a slightly better place to be because Google is around. So far the
ethics I've personally evaluated have not disappointed. And, on the
whole, I'm personally willing to cut some slack to a company that has
clearly become bigger than it expected to be.

If, in the long run, Google *does* disappoint, well that's why the
marketplace exists. I'm not a shareholder, so it doesn't matter to me if
one day someone else does to Google what it's been doing to Microsoft
and AOL.

- Evan

PS: As for the Linux references, I note that Google is still the only
system of its type and scale to provide a Linux-specific search facility
(www.goggle.com/linux), which has been around intact since almost day one.