what to delete in /usr

Chris Friedt Chfriedt-0jnyayh6ARPqzrOJbVgLALDks+cytr/Z at public.gmane.org
Fri Feb 17 19:00:52 UTC 2006

I know that this is extremely late to reply to your email, and it sounds
as though you've had a lot of meanies replying.

But I have truthfully run into your problem quite often. So I'll keep
it short:

1) Look into a script called 'localepurge' - locale data takes up
several hundred megabytes, and if you don't need a translation for every
other language in the world, it's generally a good idea to get rid of
that data.

2) Delete unused kernel trees if you build it from scratch ... that
would be in /usr/src and /lib . Remember to save the tree and libraries
of the currently running kernel as determined from `uname -a`

3) /usr/share/docs takes up tonnes of space... if you don't need a
direct reference to all of the docs from a package, you can get rid of
much of this.

4) I agree with the find /usr -size '10000k' or whatever, good
suggestion... I also use

du -hsx * | grep "^[1-9][0-9\.].*M"

(note: use /usr in place of * above for the command to work from any
location on the filesystem)

Generally, i wouldn't delete any shared libraries, just documentation.
The command I gave you will show you the size of directories and files,
which makes it a bit handier that the 'find' option (also takes much
more time).

If you really need to, look through your package manager and see what
packages may be removed without affecting your normal operations. A good
linux distro is one that uses as little space as possible to get the job
done :-)

~/Chris

ps: I hope advice helps with your problem and changes your general
opinion of this LUG in a positive way ;-)

Christopher Friedt
Ryerson University
Computing & Communication Services
(416) 979-5000 x6831