Limits on number os ssh users? X users?

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 16 02:00:50 UTC 2006

On 2/15/06, William O'Higgins Witteman <william.ohiggins-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Are there limits to how many users can be logged in at once to a Linux
> box via ssh?  Are there limits for X sessions?  Or is it just hardware
> and bandwidth?  If the limits are in hardware, how many users would be
> likely before performance issues or memory outages stopped the increase?

It depends *heavily* on what processes they are running.

- A bunch of users running Mozilla and Emacs will chew up memory Purty Fast.

- If they are running things with small memory footprints, the number
of users could grow Purty High before things fall down.

I'd expect memory to be the primary constraint.  That's what we used
to chew up when running a dozen users on a MicroVAX with 32MB of
memory...  Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping was a pretty big
memory consumer...
"The true  measure of a  man is how he treats  someone who can  do him
absolutely no good." -- Samuel Johnson, lexicographer (1709-1784)