what to delete in /usr

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 17:42:53 UTC 2006

On Tue, Feb 07, 2006 at 11:22:08AM -0500, Ivan Avery Frey wrote:
> I think he's getting conflicting instructions from this mailing list. For
> experienced users there are also a lot of things that we leave out. For
> example it is advisable to use uninstall scripts to remove software
> packages.
>
> Anyhow if the vmware uninstall script doesn't work, he could reinstall
> vmware and then use the uninstall script.

Unless it is installed with the exact same configuration it won't match
and hence won't use the right places.  If /etc/vmware still exists it
has the right info though to match the config.

> But the real problem here is performance issues, something that a full /usr
> partition isn't going to impinge upon.

Actually the write performance of many of the filesystems on linux are
very very bad when the filesystem gets close to full.  In that case more
free space does help.

> I think the real source of the problem here is 256M of RAM and OpenOffice.

That certainly is a very bad combination.

> I run NeoOffice (based on OO) on Mac OS X and a PB G4 w/512M of RAM and,
> yeah, it's sluggish. Can't wait to get 2G on this machine.

Len Sorensen