Cheap/free CNC Machine Access...

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Feb 7 03:01:44 UTC 2006

--- Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 2/6/06, Anthony Tekatch <anthony-e6QRBlwUI3iaMJb+Lgu22Q at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 12:49:16 -0500 (EST), Colin
> McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > > I am looking for cheap or ideally free access to
> a CNC
> > > (Computer Numerical Control) cutting machine for
> doing
> > > metal Linux case badges.
> >
> > Not free, but here's an interesting place that
> will probably do what you
> > want.
> >
> > http://www.emachineshop.com/index.html
>
> That sounds like a reasonable way of producing a die
> that could then
> be used to punch images.  But it sounds like it's on
> the expensive
> side as a way of doing individual items...

The goal here is to make a mold into which molten
pewter can be poured. Then wait for the pewter to
cool, remove from the mold and start again.

Pewter is an alloy made up mostly of tin, for food
safe pewter it is normally something like 92% tin, 6%
antimony and 2% copper (yes, there are pewters out
there that use lead, which I would want to avoid). The
exact melting point of pewter depends on the metal
mix, but is normally under 450  degrees F, a temp. low
enough that an electric paint stripping heat gun
and/or a small propane torch will melt it (both of
which I own examples).

Now, I have gone to the emachineshop.com website,
downloaded the (yuck) MS-Windows software and I will
plan on poking at that tomorrow on a machine at the
office. A quick look at the sample prices suggests
they will likely be well beyond what I would be
willing to pay, but, we shall see...

Colin McGregor