Solved. Re:Apache2, Debian and SSI

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 6 04:34:13 UTC 2006

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Fraser Campbell wrote:
>> Madison Kelly wrote:
>>
>>>   Same question I have about the SSI tutorial
>>> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/howto/ssi.html), where do I put that?
>>>
>>>   The docs seem to assume that people know where to put directives. :p
>>
>> If you look at the specific directive
>> (http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.0/mod/mod_mime.html#addhandler) you'll
>> see it mentions context.  For AddHandler context is server config,
>> virtual host, directory, .htaccess ... in other words you can put it
>> in a lot of different places.
>>
>> If you want .shtml files to be parsed for server side includes
>> regardless of site or file location then you could put it globally ...
>> otherwise you might want it just in a <Directory ...> or
>> <VirtualHost ...>.
>
> *sigh*
>
>   Thanks for the link, that helped clear things up but I still seem to
> be plum out of luck. I can't even generate an error message. In the main
> 'apache2.conf' there is:
>
> <FilesMatch "\.shtml(\..+)?$">
>     SetOutputFilter INCLUDES
> </FilesMatch>
>
>   Which I have tried using directly in mu VH container without luck. I
> tried the line you gave me in both places, too. Likewise, I tried the
> XBitHack (threw an error) and the:
>
>  AddType text/html .shtml
> AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml
>
>   in both places as well.
>
>   Talk about frustrating... Maybe I'm just not l33t enough of somethin'. :p
>
> Madison

That banging sound you hear is my head against the coffee table...

Turns out everything was right all along, it was a Debian-ism that got
me. I didn't realize that I had to create a symlink in the
'mods-enabled' directory to the 'includes.load' file in the
'mods-available' directory.

mendokusai!

Anywho, *many* thanks and g'night!

Madison