PCI chipset -- module vs. compiled-in

William Park opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org
Mon Feb 6 03:26:51 UTC 2006

Normally, my PCI chipset is compiled in.  But, for experiment, I
tried compiling in only the "generic" options, and moved all specific
PCI chipsets (ie. via82cxxx, hpt366) as modules.

Hotplug loads all the modules alright, but with all 'hdparm' options
turned off.  When I tried turning on DMA,
    $ hdparm -m 16 -c 1 -u 1 -d 1 /dev/hda
I get
    /dev/hda:
     setting 32-bit IO_support flag to 1
     setting multcount to 16
     setting unmaskirq to 1 (on)
     setting using_dma to 1 (on)
     HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted
     multcount    = 16 (on)
     IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)
     unmaskirq    =  1 (on)
     using_dma    =  0 (off)

Is this normal?  Has anyone encountered this before?  I thought I should
check here first.

--
William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org>, Toronto, Canada
BashDiff: Super Bash shell