Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

Scott Elcomb psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 22:04:20 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
[...]
> You have to pay reasonably big dollars for "strategic location."  If
> you plan on paying for that, and for the power, which, as has been
> mentioned, the convention centre charges more than merely handsomely
> for, then this could be an option.
>
> If you haven't got thousands of dollars to contribute towards that,
> then it's not going to happen.

Unless you have an effective salesman or two in your resource pool.

> > > If a dozen people burn 20 CDs apiece of some of their favorite things,
> > > that requires no electricity at the show site, and should be plenty
> > > compact, to boot.
> >
> > If it weren't cost-prohibitive, USB keys would be good too.
>
> If it weren't cost-prohibitive, and ear-damagingly-loud, I'd like a
> quad-Opteron on my desk, with 4 dual core chips...

That was supposed to be a subtle FYI for any potential sponsors that
see value in the idea.

> > > Technology that you don't have to plug in and wait for on the show
> > > floor is better than technology that has to be waited for...
> >
> > Warning, Personal Opinion follows:
> >
> > When in doubt, look for the resources - if they're there, do both.  No
> > one gets left behind.
> >
> > If not then there's more advocacy work to be done.
>
> There are a LOT of options out there, so many that ruling out the ones
> that are economically silly makes a pretty good "first cut."

I'm not saying it will happen, or that people should jump through
hoops to do it, I'm just offering suggestions.  There's more to life
than money.

--
Scott Elcomb
psema4.gotdns.com