Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org bassix-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 17:35:47 UTC 2006

On 2/2/06, Scott Elcomb <psema4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 2/2/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> >
> > - As a group we must be and appear to be distribution
> > agnostic, would this make it appear like we are
> > pro-Ubuntu to the detriment of other distributions
> > (Debian, SuSE, Red Hat etc.)? Remember that there will
> > be reps. from a number of the commercial distributions
> > at the show that we want to be on good/great terms
> > with...
>
> What about 10+ people burning off 5+ copies of their favorite distro
> (and/or app collections).  Add them into the Ubuntu stock and there'd
> be plenty to choose from.  (Or put into surprise bags... ;-)
>
> --
> Scott Elcomb

I like that idea. Also, might want to make sure there's enough LIVE
CDs to choose from (for Linux-curious people it's the best way to
start). Some Live CDs can be installed without any problems, others
(like Ubuntu) actually have a separate live and install CD (the Ubuntu
CD package comes with both CDs, though).

Also if it's possible to have a brief description on-hand of each of
the distros main features... that would help people to decide which
one (or two or three...) they want to try.

I'd like to cast a vote for Kanotix... I've been using it both in live
and installed form for the past few weeks, and it is fast and stable.
(It's based on Knoppix, optimized for i586 and installs to full Debian
Unstable.)

Just my 2 cents... + 7%... no, 6% GST... not enough for beer and popcorn.