Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 17:34:45 UTC 2006

--- William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 06:23:34PM -0800,
> Christopher Browne wrote:
> > On 2/1/06, Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
> wrote:
> > > - Dropping the power plugs for the booth. The
> question
> > > being "Is being able to power up
> PCs/Laptops/etc.
> > > worth the $$ that the convention centre
> charges?".
> >
> > One question...  How much would it cost for a UPS
> powerful enough to
> > keep a couple of laptops running for a couple of
> days?  If power costs
> > more than $300, I'd imagine that two UPSes costing
> about that would
> > suffice to keep 2 laptops running, assuming the
> UPSes got recharged in
> > the evening, and the laptops were chosen with a
> view to power
> > consumption.
> >
> > {e.g. - someone runs the laptops off the UPSes
> offsite, and makes sure
> > that they get ~ 10h of lifetime out of that, and
> then the policy is that
> > ONLY those laptops get power...}
> >
> > I'm sure there are some amongst us who could use
> an extra UPS; lending
> > it for a 2 day "burn in" should be no bad thing
> :-).
>
> Excellent idea!  Car battery and 12V inverter might
> also do.

Car battery plus 12V inverter could be made to work,
but... The but being that "normal" car batteries are
not designed to be deep discharged, which is the sort
of job we are asking for here. A typical car battery
has to supply a high amp jolt to power a car starter
motor and after that basically nothing. Granted a car
battery has to be able to deliver that jolt at
temperatures running from -40 C to +40 C.

There are big lead acid batteries for UPSs, golf
carts, boat trolling motors, etc. that are happy to
take the sort of long slow hit we will be asking for.

Any event if someone has a BIG UPS they would be
willing to volunteer, and/or some car/golf cart/boat
trolling  batteries that we could abuse I am all
ears...

Colin McGregor