Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

John Macdonald john-Z7w/En0MP3xWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 17:33:52 UTC 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 12:06:47PM -0500, Colin McGregor wrote:
> On the minus side:
>
> - As a group we must be and appear to be distribution
> agnostic, would this make it appear like we are
> pro-Ubuntu to the detriment of other distributions
> (Debian, SuSE, Red Hat etc.)? Remember that there will
> be reps. from a number of the commercial distributions
> at the show that we want to be on good/great terms
> with...
>
> Thoughts?

You can agnostically give away any distributions that companies
are willing to provide to be given without being anti- the
other distros.  Ask as many distros as you can think of for
CDs to be given away, and whoever responds will be included.
Ubuntu has procedures in place to respond well to such requests,
so they will likely make the cut; others who can't respond
will fail the cut but that is their problem or choice and not
an issue of your stance against them.  If a rep comes around,
you can describe how you requested stuff from their company
and what the response was and find out who you really should
have asked (so that they can participate better next time).

I'd suggest that you go for Red Hat, SuSE/Novell, and Mandriva
as well as the previously discussed Ubuntu (and any others
that people can name that have enough money behind them that
they might be willing to provide a pile of CDs or DVDs).

You could also put together a printed handout listing download
sites for as many distros as you can shake a browser at.
The printed handout might also include a summary of the
distros, listing any special attributes that distro might have
(server, desktop, recovery, education, power/beginner user,
commercial/volunteer, niche/popular, etc.).  That would let
you provide some coverage for those distros that don't have
a commercial entity around that could provide a stack of
pre-burned CDs/DVDs.