Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 17:06:47 UTC 2006

--- "G. Matthew Rice" <matt-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor <colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> writes:
> > - Some sort of buy a GTALug membership get a
> thank-you
> > item at the show. Suggestions I have heard
> include:
> >  - CDs/DVDs with a choice of Linux distros.
>
> If you contact Canonical/Ubuntu in time, they'd send
> you thousands of CDs to
> give out.

I have mixed feelings about doing a mass Ubuntu disk
give-away.

On the plus side:

- It would make a nice give-away item, with the
advantage that unless Canada Customs gets much weirder
than usual it would cost us NOTHING. As with the
candy/mint idea it would encourage people to stop by
and chat.

On the minus side:

- As a group we must be and appear to be distribution
agnostic, would this make it appear like we are
pro-Ubuntu to the detriment of other distributions
(Debian, SuSE, Red Hat etc.)? Remember that there will
be reps. from a number of the commercial distributions
at the show that we want to be on good/great terms
with...

Thoughts?

Colin McGregor