DNS question

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu Feb 2 07:30:17 UTC 2006

John Sellens wrote:
> |    Is there something special you need to do when adding a DNS entry for
> | a domain to specify a certain sub domain as an NS server? I'm trying to
> | create:
>
> You typically have to register ns[12].domain.com with the domain
> registry as name servers in that domain.  And then other domains
> are allowed to refer to those NS in their registrations.
>
> In the Tucows/opensrs interface, there's a menu item called
> something like "publish name servers" - when you're in the page
> where you define nameservers, there's a link at the bottom for
> adding nameservers in the current domain.  Other domain regsitrars
> will have something similar.
>
> Hope that helps - cheers
>
> John

Sorry for the delay in replying!

   I've been struggling with a rather hectic move where DNS was just one
trouble spot.

   Anyway...

   I finally got DNS up and all happy. It turns out you were right
(though still *big* thanks to Ian and Terry!!) and I needed to register
the {ns1|ns2}.domain.com with the 'domain.com' registrar before any
other registrars would recognize it.

   Here is a question though:

   I've got the O'Reilly DNS book and I didn't see any mention about
this being a requirement of setting up authoritative name servers (okay,
a fleeting mention). Did I miss something obvious or is this a
relatively new concern/issue?

Thanks again!!

Madison

--