DIY ISP (was Re:So Rogers has lost me as a customer...)

Vlad Slavoaca shiwan-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 1 20:05:39 UTC 2006

        Well, first, DSL technology Doesn't Work Like That(tm). Not
just the distance, but also, you know, going over Bell's lines and
into their DSLAM.

        What you want is a LANx ("LAN Extension Service"). Basically,
it's a fiber line from your office to another location of your choice,
usually a datacentre, to your equipment there. If you have upstream at
that location, all the better.
        It's basically a Layer 2 link managed by a third party. Some
can be pretty cheap; as in, about a grand a month for a 10Mbit line or
so.

        Also, having your own ASN is NOT "pretty darn cool". You not
only need to be properly multihomed, but have enough address space
that it's worthwhile to advertise routes yourself, as opposed to just
being aggregated by your various upstream providers.
        It's NOT "pretty darn cool" to be yet another guy trying to be
a network admin and just adding overhead to the world routing tables.
There's already enough issues with clueless netadmins making life hard
for everyone else. End NANOG rant.

        Cheers,

        -- Vlad

On 2/1/06, CLIFFORD ILKAY <clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On January 31, 2006 17:09, Andrew Hammond wrote:
> > Personally, if I was going to get serious about my network
> > connection again, I'd look for a company with a physically local
> > POP and then get my firewall / router / micro-server / modem in
> > there. Then you have the best of both worlds.
> >
> > First, your server is located in a data-center which eliminates a
> > number of headaches.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Second, you have full control of your uplink so you can shape your
> > traffic any which way that pleases you.
>
> Agreed.
>
> > Third, you can upgrade your uplink whatever way pleases you. Wanna
> > run the latest greatest flavour of DSL? Buy a pair of modems and go
> > nuts.
>
> Say we have servers colocated at 151 Front St. W. and that bandwidth
> at the colo facility is not a problem. Say the office is 25 km from
> the colo facility. Are you suggesting that instead of getting a cable
> or DSL connection for the office, that we could put one DSL modem in
> the colo facility and another in the office and enjoy the benefits of
> being our own ISP? Wouldn't the distance between the two locations be
> a problem for DSL?
>
> > Fourth, this is the first step towards getting an ASN, which would
> > be pretty darn cool.
>
> Agreed.
> --
> Regards,