Linux World Canada Show, April 24-26, 2006

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 1 20:05:02 UTC 2006

As I hope everyone on this mailing list is aware the
Linux World Canada show is going to be run April
24-26, 2006, with all the details to be seen here:

  http://www.lwnwexpo.plumcom.ca/

As happened last year the Greater Toronto Area Linux
User Group will have a (small) booth down on the trade
show floor (the trade show part of the event running
April 25 & 26th). Further the NewTLUG meeting will be
held down at the show the evening of April 25th.

We need to work on planning what we will be doing in
that booth.

Ideas that I have heard include:

- Dropping the power plugs for the booth. The question
being "Is being able to power up PCs/Laptops/etc.
worth the $$ that the convention centre charges?".

- Getting in small candies/mints was suggested by one
board member. We want people to stop and chat, so we
can sell them on the idea of supporting GTALug. Is an
ultra-cheap (per item) give-away item the way to go?

- Some sort of buy a GTALug membership get a thank-you
item at the show. Suggestions I have heard include:
 - CDs/DVDs with a choice of Linux distros.
 - T-Shirts
 - Case badges

Other stuff we will need to worry about:

- Booth furnishings (I can probably take care of
this...would be the same furnishings as we used last
year).

- GTALug sign (the sign we used last year will not
work given the transition from TLUG to GTALug).

- Some sort of promo flier/handout.

- Staffing the booth. Last year this was not an issue,
we typically had more people couvering the booth than
we required, but we do need to make sure this "i" is
dotted...

- Volunteer briefing as to what is/isn't allowed in
the booth. I didn't hear any complaints about what
happened last year, but there were some issues with
what happened in 2003. In other words need to make
SURE all volunteers know what can be done in the
booth.

No doubt I have missed something in the above so
suggestions are most welcome.

Colin McGregor