dynamic dns-nat-portforwarding lan-server question

teddy mills lfeder-rieW9WUcm8FFJ04o6PK0Fg at public.gmane.org
Wed Feb 1 15:03:44 UTC 2006

1. I setup my server as a 192.168.10.10 LAN server.

2. enabled NAT and PORTFORWARDING on the Linksys internet router to
192.168.10.10. now server was internet accessible via my routers IP.

3. enabled the dynamic dns feature on the linksys, so now my server
could now be accessed via the URL you know, http://vger1.dyndns.org

4. at home I can access the server both as vger1.dyndns.org or as
192.168.10.10
when at home, I access the server via 192.168.10.10, since this is much
faster and reduces traffic through the internet WAN interface. (is this
right?)

FINALLY,  we can now get to my question! :)

I installed a bunch of FOSS programs you can see on the left menu.
I cannot uninstall these FOSS programs, as the size of the website is
over 600Mb, plus when I installed these FOSS programs, I used the URL
http://vger1.dyndns.org over and over again.

So my question is, if I were to do this over again, but this time ONLY
USE THE LAN ADDESS 192.168.10.10, I figure everything should still work?
(no guarantee on this)

I mean if I got the dynamic-dns-portforwarding URL working BEFORE
installing the FOSS apps. Thus when I use the 192.168.10.10, the live
vger1.dyndns.org URL would work for those FOSS apps, that required a
proper URL to function. (yes that sounds right. Get the dynamic dns-
portforwarding working BEFORE installing the FOSS apps.  The good part
of this method (assuming it works) is then the server could be easily
made to work on ANY dynamic dns address. Thus I could have multiple
servers of this type. Opinions?

All the FOSS programs work locally on 192.168.10.10, but would still
work as if it were vger1.dyndns.org.

The only drawback I can see to using the dynamic dns URL in all the FOSS
programs, is that I cannot change the dynamic dns name. That is to say,
my webserver will only work as long as vger1.dyndns.org resolves.

Opinions on this setup?