Microsoft and Unix/Linux (Myths and IP)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 31 00:11:07 UTC 2006

Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2006, evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org wrote:
>

>> Think of it as the poor man's /dev/null.
>>

> Yes, I was thinking about that. However, it only make sense for a "move"
> command, and not for a "copy" command.
>
> Charles

That system came from a local company called "Ruscom Logics".  I believe
they're the ones who wrote that software.  It didn't come from Data
General.  One thing I recall about that system was the circuit boards
were horrible to work with.  More solder stuck to the bare board than to
the traces!  You also had to be *VERY* careful placing the cards into
the rack, as they could slide around in the connector enough to cause
shorts.  While the system worked, construction quality was very poor and
the software wasn't that great either.  This system was used to enter
telegrams at CN Telecommunications and if the disk got too full, it
would simply lock up.  At that point, the practice was to reboot, losing
any messages that hadn't been saved.  I later found that it was possible
to delete a couple of messages, freeing up enough disk space for the
system to continue.

Ahh...  The memories...   ;-)