Microsoft and Unix/Linux (Myths and IP)

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 30 22:10:38 UTC 2006

Charles philip Chan wrote:
> On 30 Dec 2006, james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org wrote:
>

>> I upgraded my XT clone, by replacing the 8088 with a V20, which not
>> only delivered better performance than the 8088, but could also
>> directly run 8080 code, including CP/M.
>>

> And thus confuse ourselves in the difference in the order of arguments
> between "copy" and "pip". ;-)
>
> Charles

Many years ago, I used to maintain some Data General Nova 800
mini-computers.  They had a custom "monitor" program.  The basic copy
command was "XFER" and one of the keys on the M33 Teletype actually
generated an arrow pointing right.  So to copy a file, the command was
XFER source > destination.  However, to delete the file, you'd use the
same command, but without a destination, such as XFER source > .  As you
can imagine, this could cause problems, if you accidentally hit the
"Carriage Return" key, before you intended to.