Dig Camera

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 27 17:37:25 UTC 2006

Howard Gibson <hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org> writes:

> On Sun, 24 Dec 2006 14:58:33 -0500
> John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>
> > ISO 3200 capability may note be the panacea that you are looking for.
> > The max aperture
> > for the FinePix 31 is f2.8. At that aperture, my Sekonic L398 light
> > meter indicates a shutter speed
> > of 1/30 sec or longer for candle light (or similar light level). Since
> > the FinePix 31 lacks image stabilization capability,
> > this means that using a tripod is an absolute must. It's been my
> > experience that a shutter speed of
> > 1/125 sec or shorter is necessary to to prevent camera shake being
> > transferred to images. FWIW, I just had my
> > light meter serviced and it is as accurate as the day it was made (it's
> > 12 yr. old).
> >
> > John
>
> John,
>
>    A lot of this depends on where you are shooting.  Often, you can bring
>    along the appropriate piece of hardware to stabilize the camera.  I
>    keep a miniature tripod in my briefcase.  It comes in handy if I want
>    to photograph a piece of small hardware on my desk at work.  I do not
>    like using flash for shots like this.
>
>    A lot of hiking poles have knobs on top held on by 1/4-20UNC threads.
>    This is the size of a camera tripod thread.  These poles are perfectly
>    good monopods.  Monopods are not as good as tripods, but hiking poles
>    are versatile things to take hiking.

Yeah, they're especially useful for spearing other hikers, tripping you on
your way down, causing thumb injuries ("skier's thumb") when you do fall,
poking your eye out, and generally annoying other hikers.

But, they look cool, especially when combined with the latest hi-tech cross
country ski wear.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada