Dig Camera

Simon simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 25 20:48:52 UTC 2006

On 12/24/06, John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> ISO 3200 capability may note be the panacea that you are looking for.
> The max aperture
> for the FinePix 31 is f2.8. At that aperture, my Sekonic L398 light
> meter indicates a shutter speed
> of 1/30 sec or longer for candle light (or similar light level). Since
> the FinePix 31 lacks image stabilization capability,
> this means that using a tripod is an absolute must.

AFAIK, I thought that the F31 has some form of image stabilization,
which may or may not be useful.  The NYT review that introduced me to
the F30 indicated that a low light photo taken with zoom would be
blurry even with the stabilisation, for all the cameras they tested,
except for an HP R8something, which took 10 secs to take the picture,
and another 5 seconds of postproc, but produced something very crisp
compared to the other cameras.  For me, the way I decide this sort of
thing is with sample pictures, and it looks like the F30/F31 cameras
blow away the competition in low light..