Mounting very old (NCR SysV) drives

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 24 02:36:56 UTC 2006

On 12/22/06, Madison Kelly <linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>    So, anyone here have any advice/suggestions for me under either OS?
> If this is too OT, maybe someone could ping me off the list?

It seems entirely unlikely to me that there is any material chance of
successfully mounting that filesystem on Linux or *BSD.

That was a "true Unix" system, and replicating filesystem
implementations of "true Unix" is something that neither Linux nor
*BSD have done.  They have replicated functionality, but not the
AT&T-derived implementations.

I'd be mighty surprised for there to be an answer better than to
effectively use dd to pull data off the partition, and to then search
for chunks of useful information thereon.
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)