Dig. Camera

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 22 21:13:48 UTC 2006

Mike Oliver wrote:
> James Knott wrote:
>> John Moniz wrote:
>>
>>> My e-mails are at home and I'm at work right now,
>>

>> Perhaps you need to do what I've done.  I set up an imap server & VPN,
>> so it doesn't matter what computer I use to access my mail.
>
> Who's your ISP?  I think most of the mass-market ones technically
> don't allow that in the terms of service, though I don't know if
> they enforce it if you're the only person actually accessing the
> server.  (That's actually what I'm most curious about -- do they
> enforce it?_

My imap server is available only on my local network and via vpn.  I do
not offer any "services" to anyone, other than ssh and vpn access to
myself.  While the ISP has prohibitions on "servers", they don't have
them on remote access.  Also, in the FAQ they mention that they'd use
the rules against those who cause problems.  They don't want "servers"
that are open to many, to prevent excessive traffic.