Mounting very old (NCR SysV) drives

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 22 18:29:35 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   This is a question looking for help under Linux or FreeBSD (I know
it's not linux, but I figured some of you guys/gals could help none the
less).

   I've been asked to try and get the data off a couple 15 year old
(SCSI) drives from an old NCR SysV Unix server. I used 'dd' to image the
drives under linux, so I'm sort of okay with experimenting now.

   Anyway, Linux recognized the drives as 'sysv' or 'hurd' disks, but I
couldn't mount them even after loading the 'sysv' module. There was very
little info on the net about this, so I decided to try FreeBSD (being
more "Unix") but I am not terribly familiar with it. Under BSD 'fdisk
-s' doesn't show the drives, but the BSD boot loader does (asks if I
want to boot off the old drive when it's online).

   So, anyone here have any advice/suggestions for me under either OS?
If this is too OT, maybe someone could ping me off the list?

Thanks kindly all!

Madi