dpkg/apt question

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 19 19:38:43 UTC 2006

Hi there. I have a small question related -- I think -- to the
Ubuntu/Debian packaging system. I'm using Kubuntu Edgy, and doing my
updates with its GUI front end called "adept".

When I go to update a package, the system:
- downloads the file
- presents a buglist
- asks if I want to install anyway

This is for a package that apt said I ought to upgrade. If that's the
case, why present the buglist? Why ask if I still want to install? Is
there a way to turn it off?

Better still, is there a document online that documents all this behavior?

- Evan