get gstreamer or xine torelease sound card?

Matt Price matt.price-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Sat Dec 16 20:46:30 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-16-12 at 14:40 -0500, Simon wrote:
> You'll want to research how to run code on suspend, and how to use
> DCOP to tell amarok to stop playing, I would guess.

yes.  I can get amarok to stop using

dcop amarok player void stop

but that doesn't free up the module (lsmod | grep cs4232 still gives a
line:
cs4232    1
)

I can also suspend amarok with

killall -STOP amarokapp
and resume with
killall -CONT amarokapp

again, though, these don't free up the module.  But if I quit the
program altogether:

dcop amarok MainApplication-Interface void quit

the module does become free and I can unload it.  SO the question for me
is whether the amarok engine (in this case xine, though I see that
mandriva is packaging a gstreamer0.10 backend) can be compelled to give
up the soundcard.

I notice that if I pause amarok, and reset the xine output from oss to
file, the module becomes free.  If I could set that config value, then
set it back to what I had before, tht would be perfect.  I imagine all
the info is stored somewhere in .kde/apps/amarok, but I'm new to this
and just starting to figure it out.

thanks,

matt