idea question for fellow sysadmins

CLIFFORD ILKAY clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 13 15:39:32 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 12 December 2006 13:44, Scott Elcomb wrote:
> On 12/12/06, James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > Madison Kelly wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > >   While trying to decide what hardware support to build into my
> > > (new) backup program I got to thinking...
> > >
> > >   Would there be any demand for someone to build a collection
> > > of old media hardware for the purpose of recovering old data to
> > > a modern format? Before I go to the effort of building a
> > > collection of old/obscure media drives though, I wanted to pick
> > > TLUGs brain, specially of you sysadmin types.
> >
> > Univac punch cards.  ;-)
>
> LOL!  If you need a Paper-Tape Reader I've got you covered, "No
> Problem!"

This sounds like a job for Amazon's Mechanical Turk
<http://www.mturk.com/mturk/welcome>. Send them your pile of punch
cards, paper tapes, or cuneiform tablets, they will ship them off to
India, or whichever country is cheaper than India these days since
India is getting expensive, and you'll get back, well, something in
digital format.

(*) <http://www.networkworld.com/news/2006/013006-sap-ceo.html> SAP
CEO, Henning Kagermann, finds lost tribe in uncharted corner of
Amazon while on trek and sets up outsourcing centre. "This is a
win-win-win. Every family in the tribe gets a set of pots and pans
and a lifetime supply of beads, our shareholders and clients enjoy
reduced costs, and finally, our employees get the opportunity to
explore new and exciting career opportunities in the fast food
industry."
--
Regards,

Clifford Ilkay