No networking with Debian 3.1 with 2.6 kernel

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 12 17:34:52 UTC 2006

On Sun, Dec 10, 2006 at 03:10:46PM -0500, tlug-KfBRzk3UKwol8X4E99VVQg at public.gmane.org wrote:
> This is what I get after a reboot for the 2.4 kernel.
> Is there anything else you need to help me get eth0
> and eth1 working?

[snip]
> Via 686a/8233/8235 audio driver 1.9.1-ac3
> via82cxxx: Six channel audio available
> PCI: Setting latency timer of device 00:11.5 to 64
> ac97_codec: AC97  codec, id: ALG97 (Unknown)
> via82cxxx: Codec rate locked at 48Khz
> via82cxxx: board #1 at 0xE000, IRQ 22
> via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.19  July-12-2003  Written by
> Donald Becker
>   http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
> eth0: VIA VT6102 Rhine-II at 0xd800,
> 00:15:f2:6e:5e:46, IRQ 23.
> eth0: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x786d
> advertising 01e1 Link 41e1.
> sundance.c:v1.01+LK1.09a 10-Jul-2003  Written by
> Donald Becker
>   http://www.scyld.com/network/sundance.html
> eth1: D-Link DFE-530TXS FAST Ethernet Adapter at
> 0xcc00, 00:05:5d:fb:de:42, IRQ 18.
> eth1: MII PHY found at address 1, status 0x782d
> advertising 01e1.
> pci_hotplug: PCI Hot Plug PCI Core version: 0.5
> shpchp: acpi_shpchprm:get_device PCI ROOT HID

So this says eth0 is a via rhine II, and eth1 is a sundance.  Since you
have two devices, it is possible that booting a 2.6 kernel you will end
up with them swapped.  Or maybe one of them won't load at all.

You could add those drivers in order to /etc/modules to see if that
helps.  Just add via-rhine and then sundance to the end of /etc/modules.
I know the discover used in sarge wasn't perfect and missed some
devices, or in some cases got it wrong because of the different driver
names in 2.4 and 2.6 kernels.

--
Len Sorensen