idea question for fellow sysadmins

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 12 15:05:04 UTC 2006

Hi all,

   While trying to decide what hardware support to build into my (new)
backup program I got to thinking...

   Would there be any demand for someone to build a collection of old
media hardware for the purpose of recovering old data to a modern
format? Before I go to the effort of building a collection of
old/obscure media drives though, I wanted to pick TLUGs brain, specially
of you sysadmin types.

   How often, if ever, have you had to find some way of recovering data
off of old tapes, MO disks and other media? How many of you have this
media laying around and would like to have it converted to something
readable (ie: DVD disk, HDD)? If you wanted the data off, would you send
it off to a media conversion house?

   I realize there are questions like filesystem types, file formats and
such to consider before I could get off the ground, but I wanted to see
if there might be any demand before starting this. Thanks for any feedback!

Madi