Wireless router problem

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 11 16:43:01 UTC 2006

--- John McGregor <mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have a friend whose Linksys wireless router gets
> knocked out on a
> regular basis. The problem also occurred with a
> Trendnet unit
> My gut feeling is that the culprit is EMI and that
> the source was a used
> 21" CRT that he had just acquired. However, the
> problem persists after
> unplugging the CRT. He has also gotten a new
> cordless phone. Would that
> be enough to cause the problem? If so, how much
> separation between the
> phone and the router would be necessary to solve the
> problem? Any other
> suggestions / remedies to solve the problem would be
> very welcome as well.

There is a known issue with the Linux running Linksys
WRT54G* routers when asked to do lots of P2P traffic.
Under very worst case situations it can cause the
router to crash as often as once per hour (only
solution being to turn off/on the router). There is I
gather no solution available at present from Linksys,
but SOME of the replacement router software created by
the Linux community does solve the issue.

Colin McGregor