What company could release such a product. No, it couldn't be ... naw ...

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 11 03:56:15 UTC 2006

>> > I'm surprised none of these companies have thought to include a
>> watchdog
>> card
>> > to force the machines to automatically reboot in the event of a crash.
>>
>> Sounds like that would cost money..

Not much money. The main program could create a small process that would
periodically send a message somewhere (on a serial port or printer port or
via USB, for example). A microprocessor would watch for this and if the
signal didn't appear, open a relay that would remove and then resore line
power. Or briefly close the reset switch.

The  microprocessor could be programmed to wait for a 'startup sequence'
from the main program so that it wouldn't go into action until the main
program was running.

The microprocessor *itself* would use its own watchdog timer so it would
reorganize itself in the case of, say, a lighting strike. (This is a
common feature in five-dollar microprocessors.)

The hardware to do this could be done for a few tens of dollars.

Even simpler, if an unused printer port is available, you could flip a bit
on a data pin and use that to reset a hardware timer.

Anybody remember those bandit-bank toys? You put a coin in a slot and
very, slowly a door opened. Then a mechanical hand grabbed the coin and
the door slammed shut. Inspired by that we put a small door on the front
of the PC. When the program crashes, the door opens, a mechanical hand
appears  and presses the reset button...

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto