How to increase the value of a $100 PC to $250 and make it unaffordable

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 10 21:29:06 UTC 2006

On 12/10/06, Sy Ali <sy1234-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> On 12/7/06, Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> > If the hardware has an SD card slot, storage no longer becomes a
> > constraint on what you run ...
>
> Isn't SD speed a concern?  I'm sure the SD slot in these laptops isn't
> particularly awesome.

Ah, but there are two kinds of reads:

a) Read-once, as at boot time, where there's a nominal amount of stuff
loaded, once.

b) Then, after boot, things will be read and will tend to be cached in
memory so that subsequent requests are "nearly free."
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)