Mythtv-Frontend got working

Teddy David Mills teddymills-VFlxZYho3OA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 10 10:45:55 UTC 2006

http://knoppmythwiki.org/index.php?page=FrontendOnlyInstall

This is the basic guide I used in making a Mythtv FrontEnd.
Basically, the idea is to make a normal install, and stop it half way
through.
Then get the MythTV-FrontEnd to talk to the backend Mythtv. (one doing
the recordings)

I got it working, but I want to try a few more installs, to get it down
to a skience.

I had problems in getting any Windows OS to play the MythTV at anywhere
near the quality seen on the MythTV server.
I tried, networking, VLC, MediaPlayer classic, MythTV filters, Windows
MythTV-Player.
Everything and anything get proper video quality.
Nothing worked. Frames were being dropped left and right. Barely useable.

My network 100mbits and cards are 100mbits.
I thought either 100mbit was not fast enough, or the video card on the
Windows box, playing the MythTV recordings, was underpowered.
I thought I had to get a 2X or 4X AGP. etc. etc.

I figured that I would install a new MythTV FrontEnd and see how well it
would play MythTV-server recordings.
It plays them fantastic!  YOU CAN EVEN WATCH TV OVER THE NETWORK USING
MYTHTV.
It is strange to be watching live TV over a common 100mbit network.

I can play mythtv-recordings and watch live TV on the FrontEnd.
The FrontEnd is using the local filesystem to find Videos and Music. (I
am sure you can config it to use the MythTV-backend, if need be)

Or I suppose, you could install a 200GB in each FrontEnd, and use each
FrontEnd you setup, to store more movies.