C header files location

chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org chris-n/jUll39koHNgV/OU4+dkA at public.gmane.org
Sun Dec 10 02:09:26 UTC 2006

Tim Writer writes:

> Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> Anyway, I don't know if you want the long explanation for this, but
>> here goes... VMWare is trying to compile a loadable kernel module to
>> extend the functionality of your kernel.  You may or may not know that
>> the Linux kernel is written in C, and you also may or may not know how
>> C compilation works.  I'm not suggesting that you don't, but in the
>> case that you don't, I'll explain that too..
>
> [snip]
>
>> I hope this all the way over your head, I realize my explanation has
>> gotten long and crappy..
>
> It was a valiant effort.
>
> To answer Chris's question, if the kernel headers are properly installed,
> they should be located here:
>
>     /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
>
> I believe this is the standard for all modern distributions.
>
> To expand this manually on your system:
>
>     % echo /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include
>
> If this directory doesn't exist, the kernel headers aren't installed. I'm
> not a Fedora user but I'm fairly certain you need to install the
> kernel-devel package. You should be able to do that with yum. There may be
> several versions of this package. The version and architecture of this
> package should match the kernel you have installed.

Okay, I did a yum install kernel-devel and that went well, but as you can
see from the following the vmware-config.pl still can't find the headers:

Installing:
kernel-devel            i686       2.6.17-1.2142_FC4  updates-released  4.5

Transaction Summary
=
Install      1 Package(s)
Update       0 Package(s)
Remove       0 Package(s)
Total download size: 4.5 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
(1/1): kernel-devel-2.6.1 100% |=========================| 4.5 MB    00:39
warning: rpmts_HdrFromFdno: Header V3 DSA signature: NOKEY, key ID 4f2a6fd2
public key not available for kernel-devel-2.6.17-1.2142_FC4.i686.rpm
Retrieving GPG key from file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-fedora
Importing GPG key 0x4F2A6FD2 "Fedora Project <fedora-H+wXaHxf7aLQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>"
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Key imported successfully
Running Transaction Test
Finished Transaction Test
Transaction Test Succeeded
Running Transaction
 Installing: kernel-devel                 ######################### [1/1]

Installed: kernel-devel.i686 0:2.6.17-1.2142_FC4
Complete!
[root at localhost brian]# mount /media/cdrom
mount: block device /dev/hdc is write-protected, mounting read-only
[root at localhost brian]# cd /media/cdrom/Linux
[root at localhost Linux]# vmware-config.pl
Making sure VMware Workstation's services are stopped.

Stopping VMware services:
  Virtual machine monitor                                 [  OK  ]

Trying to find a suitable vmmon module for your running kernel.

None of VMware Workstation's pre-built vmmon modules is suitable for your
running kernel.  Do you want this program to try to build the vmmon module
for
your system (you need to have a C compiler installed on your system)? [yes]

Using compiler "/usr/bin/gcc". Use environment variable CC to override.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

The path "/usr/src/linux/include" is not an existing directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include] /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include

The path "/lib/modules/`uname -r`/build/include" is not an existing
directory.

What is the location of the directory of C header files that match your
running
kernel? [/usr/src/linux/include]

<snip>

BTW, thanks for all the help thus far...