HOSUG meeting Tuesday 12 December 2006

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 22:15:32 UTC 2006

On 12/8/06, Interlug Lists <interluglists-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Richard will introduce us to the awesome Open Source geographic data project
> called "Open Street Map", which he describes as "a project aimed squarely at
> creating and providing free geographic data such as street maps to anyone
> who wants them; the project was started because most maps you think of as
> free actually have legal or technical restrictions on their use, holding
> back people from using them in creative, productive or unexpected
> ways." He plans to demo the steps in collecting, categorizing and
> contributing data to OSM.

That is indeed an interesting project.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/index.php/Main_Page

The notion is that you can (typically aided via GPS waypoints) collect
information about routes and contribute them into a common GIS.  The
result of this is free maps.

It seems to me that contributing data is a tad involved; in order for
the result to be of "cartographic value," it probably needs to be...
"...  memory leaks  are  quite acceptable  in  many applications  ..."
(Bjarne Stroustrup, The Design and Evolution of C++, page 220)