Employment linux admin/programmer wanted

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 18:25:14 UTC 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 12:28:09PM -0500, Dave Germiquet wrote:
> When I was 16 I worked on OS/2 for a friend, i loved it cuz i could
> multi-task far better then windows 3.1 and (DesqView) if anyone ever
> remembers that.. I was trying to run 2 bbs's at the same time I think during
> that time and do some other cool nifty mail stuff.
>
> I REALLY dont get how microsoft BEAT out OS/2.... considering it was so much
> better than windows 3.1.... IBM had far more advance yet windows won.

Wordperfect ran on DOS.  Lotus 123 ran on DOS.  Windows 3.x ran on DOS.
OS/2 did not run on DOS, and OS/2 did not run DOS applications in many
cases since it ran in 286 protected mode, which didn't support 8086
applications fully.  Only when OS/2 moved to 386 protected mode in 2.x
did they gain access to virtual86 mode which allowed mostly full dos
compatibility, and by then it was too late.

So I guess OS/2 lost because it wasn't backwards compatible, required a
more powerful computer (286 based PS/2 initially I believe), and cost
more.  I suspect if it had only 2 of those 3 problems it might have had
a change, but with all 3 most people just had no reason to bother with
it.

Also the user interface was a complete inconsistent mess when I plated
with one of the later 2.x versions.  Related configuration settings
would be in different tabs of completely different windows that had to
be accessed through different methods.  It made no sense at all.  They
probably already had too much beuracrazy involved in the feature
development by that time.  I know one telephone PBX/voice mail system
guy once told me that they ran their system on OS/2 1.x because every
version after 1.x didn't work.  So for that company, only the versions
that microsoft had worked on actually worked, and the IBM only
developed versions were too broken to use for a critical system.

--
Len Sorensen