Vista, etc. (was: Re: Employment linux admin/programmer wanted)

Alex Beamish talexb-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 18:10:59 UTC 2006

On 12/8/06, Jason Spiro <jasonspiro4-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> 2006/12/8, Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> [..]

> But c'mon, Vista's bloated, but other than that, it's not such a bad
> OS for the average clueless end user.

Yeah .. history repeats itself here, because we said exactly the same things
about Windows 95 over ten years ago .. back then 4M of memory was a decent
amount and 8M was plenty. Windows 95 was fine with 16M (a huge amount back
then), slow in 8M and useless in 4M. OS/2 did a little better, but really
shone in the multi-tasking department.

Microsoft first claimed they'd make it zippy in 4M, then gave that up and
said, Hey, you'll just have to upgrade your memory. Fortunately, the delays
helped, because memory prices slowly fell, and pretty soon 16M and even 64M
of memory (wow) was not uncommon.

Though I must say, Mac OS is
> better. IMO, Linux, unfortunately, still has too many problems (with
> 3-D graphics, etc.) for clueless end users. That is why I avoid
> recommending it to such users.

If I were going to recommend a computer for new users, I wouldn't hesitate
to recommend a Mac -- I bought one for my step-son last year, and we plugged
it into power and the network, turned it on, and it asked a few simple
questions like "Can I use the LAN for Internet access?" and "I've found a
network printer, is that the one you want to use?", and that was it. No
driver conflicts, no downloads, no battling with IRQs, no screen resolution
issues, no reboots -- it just *worked*.

The PC as an appliance -- what a concept.

--
Alex Beamish
Toronto, Ontario