Portable mail archives?

Tim Writer tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Dec 8 00:52:19 UTC 2006

Simon <simon80-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> writes:

> I find that debugging failed checks with configure scripts from a
> packager/user perspective hasn't been too bad so far, that's what the
> config.log is therefore.  It goes without saying though that I only
> learned how to use autoconf because I like automake.
>
> As to your last point, it's not configure's fault that the maintainer
> hard coded paths and didn't run make distcheck.  Autoconf could use a
> starter guide or something, but when used properly, building anywhere
> works fine.

Sigh. I made two simple points: 1) a symlink tree might be a useful tool
for managing portable mail archives on read-only media, and 2) a symlink
tree can be useful for developers working with broken or limited build
systems.

The second point and arguments about whether autotools is better/worse,
easier/harder to debug, etc. than other systems don't belong in this
thread.

--
tim writer <tim-s/rLXaiAEBtBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org>                                  starnix inc.
647.722.5301                                      toronto, ontario, canada