User Interface: (Was: KnoppMyth on a 320G drive)

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Thu Dec 7 04:23:02 UTC 2006

> Are you trying to hook the PVR-250's S-Video connector to your TV
> S-Video input?  That won't work -- the PVR's S-Video connector is an
> input.

Ah, yes. Another user interface problem.

User interface story: I recently did a guest lecture at Ryerson U and of
course brought my laptop to plug into their overhead projector. The podium
stand was locked up tighter than Fort Knox, but there was a video
connector on the podium that says 'Computer'.

I'm wondering 'Computer what?' 'Computer *output* as in Video output from
the computer in the podium? Or 'Computer *input* as in 'this is where you
plug in your computer (video).' 'Computer' by itself is Not Helpful.

Anyway, I decided that the most likely thing was the former, and wondered
ho much expensive damage would occur to both computers if you plugged
their video outputs together. Happily, it did turn out to be the
connection to the overhead projector.

And for another user interface story: There is a very nice free (maybe
even open-source) spectrum analysis and audio distortion measurement
program available from RightMark. It uses the sound card to generate and
analyse audio signals. In spite of having operated complex electronic
equipment, including spectrum analysers, I had trouble operating the
program. (And yes, I did read the manual.) By happenstance I got the
spectrum measurement but I could not figure out the rest of the user
interface on this device.

User interfaces are important.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto