How to increase the value of a $100 PC to $250 and make it unaffordable

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Wed Dec 6 14:24:40 UTC 2006

> Given that the system
> can't run even a "lean" desktop like XFCE (or so I was once told), how
> will MS's resource-hungry OS adapt? There may be an expression of
> interest, but porting could take a very long time.

On the other hand, Microsoft have been moderately successful with WinCE,
their version of Windows for embedded devices, which runs on machines with
small resources. I can't see them adapting Vista, but I can see a
skunk-works project producing something that has the Windows logo on it
and runs on the OLPC. It would have to be a separate group, in view of
reports that it took something  like 12 Microsoft programmers to write the
shutdown menu for Vista. My approach would be to sacrifice legacy support
and focus on getting the mainstream office applications (with reduced
functionality) to work.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto