Wireless cards

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 5 23:04:28 UTC 2006

| From: Merv Curley <mervc-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org>

| Can anyone suggest a USB [ is dongle the word?] unit that will work with the
| current 2.6.17 kernels?

I just wanted to mention: if you are buying new, try hard to avoid one
that uses NDISwrapper.  A great hack but:

- WindowsXP drivers are allowed to use way more stack than Linux
  drivers.  This is something that NDIS wrapper cannot paper over.
  Usually this doesn't matter, but there is no way of telling if
  it does.

- binary-only drivers are very difficult to debug.  Kernel hackers
  will shun you if you even load one.

- it is good to reward the manufacturers that support Linux.  Or show
  manufacturers that there are customers that use Linux.

Having said all that, I don't know it there are any 802.11g USB
thingees that have Linux drivers.  I have not looked.