No networking with Debian 3.1 with 2.6 kernel

tlug-KfBRzk3UKwol8X4E99VVQg at public.gmane.org tlug-KfBRzk3UKwol8X4E99VVQg at public.gmane.org
Tue Dec 5 18:29:38 UTC 2006

Hi,

I have the exact same problem as
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/debian-linux-help/43199-uneachable-network-after-update-kernel-2-6-a.html
 The machine is working great with the 2.4 kernel.  As
soon as I reboot it and switch it over to the 2.6
kernel none of the networking stuff works.  I tried
doing a ifconfig eth0, but it looks like it cannot
find the hardware setting for eth0. I tried running
/etc/init.d/module-init-tools then ifconfig eth0 but
that did not work either.

I know/hope its something simple, but I don't have a
clue what it is.  What step or config setting am I
missing?

Robert