For $150, Third-World Laptop Stirs a Big Debate

Yanni Chiu yanni-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Dec 4 19:01:59 UTC 2006

Mike Kallies wrote:
> With the OSS and general purpose computer nature of the OLPC project,
> I would be very surprised if children could not install a compiler and
> start hacking away :-)

There'd be no need to install anything. The Sugar Human Interface
is implemented in Python. See:

     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Python_Environment
     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Human_Interface_Guidelines

Also, the main educational software is the squeakland.org
version of Squeak/Etoys. See:

     http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Etoys

Underlying Etoys is Squeak/Smalltalk. So out of the box,
there'll be two programming environments available to "hackers".